Tuesday 10 December 2013

Visas, people and problems

People in visa limbo don't seem to be that uncommon around here.

There is Matthew an event organizer from Wales who thought he was here for only one day, as he is planning to live permanently in Australia and had been living there for 2 1/2 years already. However the next step of his permanent visa is taking unexpectedly long and now he's been here for almost a week and is running out of money. Yesterday he had 10$ left and you could see his growing anxiety while he was chain smoking his last pack of cigarettes away.

Then there was this Italian/German guy who wanted to buy a car with me because I am 'chill', but he doesn't have a driving licence which is also why he didn't get the whv visa yet, he will have to do an interview on the 16th and is stuck here until then.

Not everyone has visa issues though, some people have more mundane issues. There was a Brazilian girl who was left behind by her friends who didn't show up when they were supposed to, so I left her my phone for the day, so that she could contact her friends.

A Texan project manager told me he didn't think the job situation in the states was bad, however with almost everything he said it was evident that he was worried about losing his job and he mostly talked about job security related issues.

A German politician from Munich pissed off other Germans by talking to them about politics and was worried that there would be re-elections in Germany.

I also had the short opportunity to practice some Spanish with a girl from Chile and a Mexican couple.

As for me I am waiting, still no news on the xray I found out the post office screwed me over though. I had told them I need to send the fastest way possible they just decided to send it by regular mail. So because of some clerk I'm sitting here and waiting and losing money on that and might possibly end up not getting the visa. Further of course the hostel didn't pay up for the cost they caused me. They basically admitted it was their fault but yeah.. then this morning when I had to change rooms they had forgotten to note that I had paid. At least they didn't try to charge me again...they just wanted to investigate.
I booked another night, but it really is time to leave Christchurch.

No comments:

Post a Comment