Monday 23 December 2013

Going south

I didn't find a travel partner but I found three German guys (or maybe I should say boys) who also wanted to go to lake tekapo and in general seemed to have a nice route and who had a free spot in their car, so I decided to go with them.
The hostel where we wanted to go didn't have room for all of us so they went to a different hostel. I didn't have any food so I tried my luck with my other bank card to see if it had been unlocked already - I was in luck, although things were super pricey in that village.
Then I met up with the others who wanted to stay in and pay cards however and later watch a movie. So I went out alone for a longer walk around the lake with turquoise water and then through a pine first. Later in the evening I fended off a horny German girl in the hostel who was kind of racist and made me wonder how someone like that could travel around. German travelers are of the highest frequency among the travelers and so far she seems to have been the exception to the rule.
The next day we went up mount John together although I walked the extension of the track alone and found sheep who really flocked together very closely and barely moved. At first I thought they were weird statues, but at some point outer sheep started to fight.. a little.. for better spots.
In the evening I was amazed by the cooking skills of Asian girls one of which prepared an awesome looking meal in 10 minutes. All in all this was a nice stay with people from many countries.
The next day I accompanied the three to mount cook/aoraki. Where we went for a short walk and saw a kea in the distance and had a look at the glacier lake, then we headed back to the car, running from the train and just made it before it caught up with us. We then headed to oamaru where we found a steam punk museum and which in general seemed a steam punk place. At night we kind of illegally watched blue penguins and sea lions as a bonus. We didn't want to pay the ridiculous fee to be allowed to enter the colony, so we jumped down to the beach near a cafe which otherwise blocked the only other entry and was fenced everywhere else. Than we walked down a pier and were able to see everything and the sea lions at the far end of the pier. The thing seemed a sham really there were signs saying to be quiet near the penguins but they had loudspeaker announcements. Then we left and saw yellow eyed penguins in the harbour. It was funny while everyone ess staring at the penguins far away I saw a little fella peeking out beneath the platform everyone was standing on.
Unfortunately it was too dark for decent pictures. We then went back to eat steaks.
The next day we drove to Dunedin and that is where I am currently. The weather here is really effective at preventing me from feeling like going out. Apparently Dunedin is known for for its bad weather and there are newspapers saying it's really not that bad here. The hostel is easy overcrowded with Germans again.

No comments:

Post a Comment