Monday 23 December 2013

Christchurch is really not a nice place

I teamed up with a polish and an Israeli guy to finally leave Christchurch for a bit, even if only for a day. (The day before I showed them around in Christchurch and in the evening went for a hike with the Israeli guy which was nice to but very short and we found a way blocked by stones from a past earthquake). We went for a hike in the Hinewai reserve and planned to go to one of the bays, however in the end we spent all afternoon walking in the reserve and then returned to make it back to the car before it was dark. We then went to the aoraki village to find something to eat however since it was late we ended up only finding something in a bar. We all ended up eating a seafood bucket each. Then after spending forever there we went for one of the bays even though it was dark already. We then went to the beach not really seeing much in the dark and after some philosophical discussions and failed attempts at taking pictures, we returned to the car, to return to Christchurch. All in all it was a nice change.

The next morning was the beginning of the last workday before my birthday so I decided to call immigration new Zealand again to ask if I should/could do anything to make things go faster with the visa. The answer was that the fact that my x Ray still didn't arrive was going to be problem and it had to arrive on that day, so the only chance I had was to get a new x Ray done and have it arrive in Auckland that same day. In short I thought it was a pointless effort and a waste of a lot more money.. But I tried.
I went to the atm to get money for another night at the hostel cuz I didn't want to worry about that too. Then I wanted to print the accompanying documents for the xray, but met the Israeli guy who was about to leave and said goodbye. Then I rushed off to get to the nearest approved radiologist. I then realized I had forgotten to get the printed documents from reception but tried the medical center and luckily they had the forms although they were not too happy about giving them to me.

I got the xray done and then headed to the airport because that's the pace they told me to go to at radiology(there was an office much closer). They scanned everything and sent it by mail, but told me they didn't know whether they would accept that, so I should also send it by mail. So I located a post shop at the airport and sent it from there. Then I decided to walk back...

I walked and walked and walked. The sun was very strong that day and I was getting thirsty, after walking for a long time I came to fendalton mall, I bought a few things to eat and way more to drink and then feasted at the back of the mall. A security guy left the back door at some point...

I made my way back to the hostel and there after a while of more eating and drinking I wanted to book a bus to another place and more or less randomly had picked lake tekapo. Then I noticed I didn't have my wallet anymore. So I blocked my debit card, then called the mall where I last used it, but upon here the list of extension numbers I decided to call the police instead. Then I left my mobile with a Scottish girl in case the police would call and then walked back the whole way to the mall asking passersby if they had seen something. At the supermarket nobody had handed in the wallet and the spot where I ate didn't harbor my wallet either. So I went back. Everybody told me I had lost it in a good area so it would surely show up and people told me that their wallet had showed up again when they had lost it and the Scottish girl told me that she knew how I felt. So I decided to stay 2 more days in case it would show up and also hoping to maybe find a travel partner and I thought maybe the wallet would show up on my birthday because the finder thought it would be funny. It didn't show up of course.

In short, Christchurch doesn't really offer anything to do, there is a funny connection between cathedrals and prostitution it seems(both the destroyed and the new cathedral have  unmistakable establishments close by), I got money milked by the hostel I was at making me pay for their mistakes and then I lost my wallet.


No comments:

Post a Comment