Thursday 16 January 2014

The last ride

So I thought the dairy farmer was my last ride, but either I misunderstood or he changed his mind, when he suddenly was sorry but reeeeeally had to smoke a joint. He left me in a village called Mossburn. It seemed all the people who took me were potheads and ex hitchhikers.
The wait wasn't too bad in Mossburn and this time the guy who took me was not a pothead(but still a hitchhiker). In fact he told me he wouldn't like smokers. He is a bus driver and I never really understood his name. He told me about all the people he didn't like in his bus and that he used to be a skipper. In the end he offered me to take me for free in his bus if there was space and let me out at cafe Hollyford in Te Anau.
Now I am still in Te Anau not really having done much. Everyone here books one of the super expensive tours in Fjordland. The famous Milford sound one or the slightly less famous but way more beautiful Doubtful sound one. I think I won't do the latter one because 250 NZ$ is just a tad insane for sitting around on a boat. There actually is a hike in that area, but apparently people regularly get into trouble around there and wading through water and mud seems to be the rule and I really don't want more of that for now. (Also the DOC people would probably be really unhappy if I was to go there alone...)
Unfortunately there don't seem to be any real daywalking opportunities around here.
The only track around here is the overbooked Kepler track. I am considering to do it in 2 days(if I can get a spot in one of the overpriced/overbooked huts). I met a German guy who did it in one day which doesn't seem appealing to me at all as that would be pushing it the whole day and since there may be snow now this might be a tad bit of torture in sandals. (Unfortunately my feet still haven't recovered from the track on Stewart island). Oh well I might attempt that anyway, at least I wouldn't be carrying a heavy peak, just a day pack. I guess I could unpack my other pair of vibram five fingers I suppose they wouldn't slow me down as much as my sandals(I am seriously starting to consider getting a pair of these sandal-shoe hybrid things) in unfavorable conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment