Sunday 29 March 2015

Cherating

I didn't know what to expect of this place except that it was supposedly a backpacker place. However I found that it let down even the modest expectations of meeting people there.

I arrived at about 7 p.m. after hitching a ride from Kuantan, a city which I couldn't stand anymore after a few hours(mostly due to accommodation prices). I heard that accommodation in cherating was supposed to be cheap. All I saw was resorts and chalets in a mostly deserted village. Everything seems to cater to tourism and there's nothing aside of it. Since there were pretty much no tourists that means the village was dead. A few locals waiting for business that's all.

I met another traveler who had the same impressions, so we passed the days pretty much just talking in the shade drinking iced lemon tea (te o ais limau ) I was going to spend the last night in a Rm20 accommodation but that price was outdated it seems or only for long term stays, so instead I'm writing this article and stay in my tent. The only other option would be the 'dorm' the other guy had stayed in for just rm 15(cherating cottage), but since it apparently is mosquito infested, my free tent just seems way more comfortable. I guess if you just want to relax and come as a couple or have someone to share a room with, cherating may be a viable option, food is priced similarly as in most places (Activities offered don't look cheap.), however if you expect backpackers.. this is not the place.

In case you want to camp for free, just go towards the beach and then left till the houses end. I camped next to the tree there, you might want to consider walking on towards the trees, at some point you'll find a burnt down ?House?. You'll have some palm trees there, more shade and you'll be more out of view. Note you can find free showers in the toilets next to the food court kind of place at the main road.

Further note: I had no coverage with u-mobile, they sell digi here, so maybe that works, but I have been getting by with guessing hostel Wi-Fi passwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment