Friday 27 December 2013

Christmas, sandals and rain

I have been staying in Dunedin for a few days now and the city deserves it's reputation for the terrible weather from what I can tell. I think it rained every day so far. The one day it only rained in the evening we drove to the tip of the peninsula where the only albatross colony that is not located on an island can be found.
Of course there everything was fenced and a overly expensive tour was available, even to just enter the information center cost 5$. Of course we didn't want to pay all that money, and so just walked around watching seagulls and sea lions. After a while we started on our way back but stopped for Larnach castle, the only castle of the country.. which actually is not a castle. Anyway we walked there and when we arrived at the gate we saw the entry fee.. and decided to not pay that fee so instead we turned around and walked back, then drove back to the hostel.
The next day was rainy but it was the last day before Christmas, so we bought food because the hostel held a potluck dinner. Of course since almost everyone was German this wasn't very interesting and meant there wouldn't be anything to eat for me, but oh well. Also since it was Christmas in Europe the others were complaining about not being in Christmas mood/not being at home. We walked around and then walked into the first church of Dunedin. I never expected this. The three are total nerds playing games on their mobiles all day and then they went to sit in a church for half an hour at least. The church smelled of pee and the person playing the organ wasn't hitting the right notes too often. Also even though I am not well versed in churches, I have to say churches here are not impressive. Then we headed back to the hostel to end another rainy day.
The next day was Christmas day in NZ, so everything was closed I expected another horrible day. We went to the steepest street of the world, the Baldwin street. Well steepest street in a residential area or something like that. And that turned out to be the best thing in a while. It was dry when we left the hostel, so I left in my typical attire - sandals, shorts and t-shirt. Then it started to rain, first just a little then it started to pour and so finally after a long time I felt alive again. The street was steep but yeah it's just a street. Then in the evening the potluck was as expected practically devoid of edible food and I was wondering whether I am too old for this since almost everyone I met is younger than 20 and contemplating what to study or how to get drunk. One would think people who come here, come to enjoy the outdoors however party tourism is at least starting to take a hold of nz.
I didn't have conversations options left and so watched whatever was on TV and everyone else was watching. The next morning we left for Invercargill.

No comments:

Post a Comment